Open Enrollment
Welcome to the Howard-Suamico School District
Open Enrollment FAQs

The following information is provided by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.


What is Public School Open Enrollment?

Wisconsin’s inter-district public school open enrollment program allows parents to apply for their children to attend school districts other than the one in which they live.


Who may participate in open enrollment?

Students in 5-year-old kindergarten to grade 12 may apply to participate in open enrollment. Open enrollment for pre-kindergarten, 4-year-old kindergarten and early childhood education is limited.  Parents should call their resident school districts to find out if their preschool-aged children qualify for open enrollment. 


How and when may parents apply?

The open enrollment application period for the 2015-16 school year is from February 3 - April 30, 2015.  The application period closes at 4 p.m. on April 30, 2015.  Late applications will not be accepted for any reason. 

Parents may apply in one of two ways:

  • Online (recommended) at

  • Although online application is recommended, paper applications may be obtained from the Department of Public Instruction and must be delivered (hand-delivery is recommended) to the nonresident school district during the application period.   


Can applications be submitted to more than one school district? 

Applications may be submitted to up to three nonresident school districts.

Must students reapply every year? 

Once a student is accepted into a nonresident school district, the student may continue to attend that district without reapplication.


Is there a cost to parents for open enrollment? 

There is no tuition cost to parents for participation in open enrollment.  Parents of open enrolled students may be charged the same fees as resident students. 


Who is responsible for transportation?

Parents are responsible for transporting their children to and from school.

If transportation is required in the individualized education program (IEP) for a child with a disability, it must be provided by the nonresident district.

Low-income parents may apply to the DPI for partial reimbursement of their transportation costs.


Can an open enrolled student participate in sports and other extracurricular activities in the nonresident school district?

Open enrolled students have the same rights and responsibilities as resident students. 

Interscholastic athletics are governed by the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA), which has recently adopted new rules concerning transfer students.  Parents should check with the WIAA or the school district’s athletic director about eligibility. 



Tracy Hibbard 
Open Enrollment Coordinator
(920) 662-8860


Damian LaCroix

Howard-Suamico School District

2706 Lineville Road

Green Bay, WI 54313

(920) 662-7878

Fax (920) 662-9777


"An authentic, innovative, connected, and inspired experience for an ever-changing future."


Mission: "We will work with families and community to ensure that our students have the knowledge and skills to succeed in a changing world."

  • Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page

Connect with Us

Damian LaCroix, Superintendent

Calendar                 Directory                  Employment Opportunities                  Menu    

Digital Promise Logo


This website and the websites within the Howard-Suamico School District are committed to meeting accessibility requirements and making information available in accordance with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 508.  The Howard-Suamico School District is committed to providing accessible websites.  If you would like additional assistance or have accessibility questions, please contact us at (920) 662-7878.