McKinney Vento (MKV)
McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance
The mission of the Department of Public Instruction Education for Homeless Children and Youth (EHCY) program is to ensure educational equity and success for students experiencing homelessness by providing support under the federal McKinney-Vento (MKV) Homeless Assistance Act. The MKV Assistance Act defines homeless children and youth as those who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence.
Examples within the law include children and youth in the following situations:
- Sharing housing and/or "doubled up" due to a loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason.
- Living in hotels, motels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to a lack of alternative adequate housing.
- Living in emergency or transitional shelters.
- Abandoned in hospitals.
- Living in a public or private place not designated for, or normally used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings.
- Living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar places.
McKinney-Vento supports include:
- Ability for homeless students to continue to attend their school or origin (the school they have been previously attending).
- Assessment of needed transportation support to/from the school of origin.
- Authorization of free school meals.
- Waiving of school fees.
- Access to educational materials/supplies.
- Assistance overcoming any school enrollment barriers.
- Linking to community resources, support, and services.
Role of McKinney-Vento Liaison
Students experiencing homelessness need to be qualified for MKV support through the school district MKV Liaison. Eligibility for MKV support is determined at the start of each school year (August).
The liaison is key to ensuring homeless children and youth receive the services they need and is the primary contact between homeless families, schools and staff, and outside service providers.
Please contact your MKV Liaison, Kendra Kawula, with any questions and/or to see if your situation is eligible to receive MKV support(s).